This memo was created for the convenience of Wialon Local administrator. We tried to gather here a brief list of the necessary accesses, peculiarity of some standard procedures (disk space control, working with logs and backups), as well as prohibited actions during the work and maintenance of Wialon Local.
This memo is also available in PDF format.
lic.gurtam.com 31176 — license components check.
local-api.wialon.com 443 — сscripts’ and modules’ updates.
lic.gurtam.com 18711 — Wialon LBS service.
lic.gurtam.com 18712 — Wialon mobile push notifications service.
lic.gurtam.com 18611-18614 — Gurtam Maps service.
https://distro.gurtam.com/maps/ — the old AVD maps storage.
Telegram notifications service.—
— Let's Encrypt auto certificates (mandatory require the port 80 to be opened).
mqtt.flespi.io 8883 (SSL) or 1883 (not SSL) — MQTT broker.
app-local.wialon.com port 443 — to access NimBus, Fleetrun, Hecterra, Logistics, and other Wialon-based apps.
Default port range for Wialon hardware in iptables:
-A INPUT -p udp -m state --state NEW -m udp --dport 20100:30000 -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -p tcp -m state --state NEW -m tcp --dport 20100:30000 -j ACCEPT
Port 1935 or 19350 depending on the device type.
Port 8083 — to get files from the video server.
- BASE URL for Logistics, Nimbus, Fleetrun, Hecterra should be an external DNS record.
- The connection URL for the Wialon Local mobile app should be external without the port. Access through IP:port is not applicable.
- The Let’s Encrypt certificates generation and updating are performed through the HTTP request, port 80. The attempt to auto update the certificate takes place a month before its expiration date. If failed, the next attempt takes place again in a week.
Storage space control
Wialon Local is installed to /home/wialon/wlocal by default.
- Wialon controls the free space in /home only, if there’s less than 5Gb left in /home/, the Wialon service stops automatically to prevent the database from being damaged.
- The database files defragmentation is done automatically, if the degree of fragmentation exceeds 20%. There should be 2,5 times more space than the database file size to finish defragmentation successfully. The current level (or percentage) of the database files fragmentation can be viewed in the wlocal/storage/ms/msgs_stats.
- Logrotate stores and rotates logs for the last 10 days by default. Check the logs rotation failures from time to time.
- There can be cache files for sending data to the backup server in wlocal/storage, wlocal/storage/md and wlocal/storage/pd. They have names like sync.cache.<backup_id>. The cache files’ size of more than 1Gb indicates the network’s slow speed, the backup server being unavailable, or that the hot backup was stopped.
- The file with cache of the received messages for the database may be created in /home/wialon/wlocal/ with the extension *.msgs. The cache size of more than 1Gb causes the slow writing speed, the slow disk work, and might indicate the database/disk damage.
- For the system to function normally and for the authorization in the administration panel, there should always be free space in /root/ and /var/.
Folders and logs
All the Wialon Local logs are located in /home/wialon/wlocal/logs/ by default. They are stored and rotated for the last 10 days (logrotate).
- The SMS sending via the SMPP gateway or GSM modem is logged in trace.log of the Wialon service. The communications with the gateway or GSM device and the SMS sending are logged in smpp_device_*, gsm_device_*.
- The email sending via the MAIL server is logged in trace.log. You should analyze the processing and sending of the email by the MAIL server logs (postfix/mailx by default, or directly SMTP logs). The timeout for the command sending to the SMTP server in Wialon is 10 sec. The timeout for getting a response (code 250) from the SMTP server in Wialon is 5 sec. There are 5 attempts to get an email to be sent by Wialon -> SMTP. After the fifth unsuccessful attempt, the task for the email sending is removed from the queue. The email sending errors are recorded in trace.log.
- The issues with Let’s Encrypt certificates generation and updating are logged in lcm/lcm.log. Sometimes instead of the certificate renewal, it’s better to delete old SSL certificates (click the Default button) and generate new ones.
- All entries from the service logs with the word "error" get to error.log. It means that such entries are not always actual errors. For example, it can be word "error" in the tracker’s response to the command, or word "error" in the name or the text of the executed report/notification.
- Text files with the statistics for the charts of the administration panel resources are stored in /home/wialon/wlocal/tmp/charts/. These files are not rotated or deleted. If needed, the old files can be deleted manually after stopping Wialon Local.
- When Wialon Local fails, the system attempts to make the automatic dump of the Wialon process. The dump files are stored in the folder debug/.
- The downloaded video files from the trackers has MP4 format and are stored separately from the Wialon DB in /mnt/storage/video. This folder is created when the video service is installed.
- An automatic control of the free space on the disk is not available, so it’s crucial to monitor the disk overflow with in-built tools.
- Primary synchronization of the database ends with the entry "Sync finished" entry in trace.log.
- When the connection is lost or there are internet/network issues, the "pipe_not_connected" entry appears in trace.log.
- The growth of the synchronization cache on the main server, with the backup module configured and working, mainly indicates about insufficient data transfer speed over the network, insufficient read-write speed of disks, synchronization problems due to a damaged database file or bad disk sectors.
Conditions for forced database synchronization anew:
- Invalid backup stop. Then the files serial.dat and props.dat, which are responsible for continuing the database synchronization, are not created on the backup.
- If the backup module or main service was restarted before full synchronization.
- An error occurred while synchronizing a file (usually due to its corruption).
The list of don’ts when working with and supporting Wialon Local
- As per the license contract, the interference of the Wialon Local distribution package (changing of any files in any directories) by the client is not allowed. The Wialon configuration changes — website design, SSL certificates, Wialon service limitations, etc. — are performed through the administration system.
- Two and more Wialon services are prohibited to be launched simultaneously on one license.
- The server shutdown and the OS restart are prohibited when the Wialon service is working.
- It is forbidden to move or delete the folders and files in the working directory wlocal/ (especially the folder storage/).