If the primary server has failed, there are different solutions depending on the backup server in use: the old one (without its own administration system) or the new one (with its own administration system).
Restoring primary server
This solution is appropriate if you use the old backup server (without its own administration system).
To use a copy of the database from the backup server when the hardware of the Wialon Local server has failed, follow these steps:
- Stop Wialon Local on the primary server.
- Stop the backup server.
- Restore the working capacity of the primary server.
- Reinstall Wialon Local on it.
- Copy the storage directory from the backup server to the primary one.
- Start Wialon Local on the primary server.
If the AVD maps are used, it is not necessary to restore the contents of the maps folder (and the configuration in the administration system) from the backup. However, reconfiguring and downloading maps may slow down the process of restoring the service for end users.
Switching backup server to primary mode
This solution is appropriate if you use the new backup server (with its own administration system). It allows you to reduce the time during which the server is unavailable to end users.
To switch the backup server to the primary mode, you should preinstall the backup server from the Wialon Local ISO image (see the Installation process section).
- If the primary server with Wialon Local is running, switch it to the backup mode. To do this, click on the Switch server to backup mode button in the Backup servers section. After that, the Wialon service is stopped.
- If necessary, transfer the primary IP to the backup server (that is, switch the cable manually or change the network settings).
Switch the backup server to the primary mode. To do this, click on the Switch server to primary mode button in the Backup servers section of the backup server administration system. After that, the following actions are performed:
- the backup service is stopped;
- the storage folder is transferred from the /home/wialon/wl_storage_backup directory to /home/wialon/wlocal.
Perform this step when the primary server with Wialon Local is down for more than 1 minute.
- After switching the server mode, make sure that the latest updates are installed. Install the updates, if any.
- Restore the system configuration using the Restore button in the Backup servers section.
Now you can start the Wialon Local service.
In the administration system interface, there is an option which allows you to transfer the Wialon Local configuration (settings, logos, certificates) from the primary server to the backup one. Also, the configuration of the Wialon Local primary server is saved every hour on the license server automatically. To restore it, use the Restore button in the Backup servers section.